The New Year is a great time to share remodeling trends that we are installing in many of our projects. Some trends are transitioning to mainstream; while, a few are new on the scene. Here’s our top 5 recommendations for 2014:
- Edging out bath tubs in popularity, showers reign supreme. Seamless showers appeal to a wide audience. Losing the shower curb not only creates a spacious feel in the bath but easy access to the shower. Universal design at it’s finest, this trend will soon be mainstream.
- Stand alone tubs bring a sense of style to all bathroom remodels. Taking up less space than the tiled in deck tub or whirlpool, stand alone tubs enlarge the overall available space in many baths. Endless styles are available for designing the perfect marriage of function & relaxation.
- Floating shelves in kitchens, entertainment and storage areas do away with the upper cabinet model. Treating these areas with an eye for design can incorporate not only storage; but visual interest, artwork and spacial breathing room. Tending toward the more contemporay taste, these elements can adapt to any style.
- Clients are warming up to radiant heated floors. Once considered an “upgrade”, floor heat is fast becoming a remodeling project standard. Once only popular for the bath, we now enhance basements, kitchens, laundry rooms and living spaces with the comfort floor heat offers. After all this cold weather, who wouldn’t want a warm floor to keep the chill off their toes?
- With boomerang kids, aging parents & our own physical needs more thought is being given to multi-gen or universal design. As previously mentioned, curbless showers create easy access for wheelchairs or impaired walking. Wall mounted sinks, wide hallways, sensor faucets and of course heated floors are popular remodeling enhancements for creating a comfortable and safe home.
We are constantly looking for new and innovative ideas for remodeling projects. This list is a good place to start for what’s new for 2014.
Which trend will you add to your project ideabook?